Commonwealth Child Safe Framework
The National Disability Insurance Scheme Quality and Safeguards Commission (NDIS Commission) strongly supports the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework (the Framework), which sets the minimum standards for creating and maintaining a child safe culture and practice in Australian Government entities. The Framework was established in response to the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse findings.
The safety and wellbeing of children and young people is embedded in our operations, governance and organisational culture and leadership. We are dedicated to ensuring that the NDIS Commission is a child safe and child friendly environment where all children and young people are valued and feel safe.
The NDIS Commission is committed to the safety of all NDIS participants, including those whom are children. We acknowledge NDIS participants who are children are likely to have a different service experience to adults — the NDIS Commission, by integrating child-safe principles, is enhancing the impact of its regulatory functions and contributing to positive, quality and safe service delivery for children.
To date, the NDIS Commission, in line with the Framework has:
- undertaken a risk assessment in relation to activities of the entity, to identify the level of responsibility for, and contact with, children, evaluate risks to child safety, and put in place appropriate strategies to manage identified risks; and, committed to undertake this risk assessment annually
- implemented the Commonwealth Child Safe Framework eLearning module into our workforce training
- implemented information sharing protocols and procedures for referrals to State and Territory child welfare and protection services
- updated our procurement guidance relating to child safety contract considerations
- updated grant agreement templates to include child safety obligations as a specific requirement
- adopted the National Principles for Child Safe Organisations
- committed to developing a tailored Child Safe Framework for the NDIS Commission.